Friday 17 December 2010

Salt

Our Pachamama tour of Chile ended in San Pedro de Atacama, a little town that is quite nice despite the amount of tourists and dust (it's in the desert, after all). Everything is geared towards tourists, and is therefore overpriced and overdone. Still, it was a pleasant place to chill out and sort through the endless photos we'd taken over the past four days.

Once recovered, we hopped on a bus to Salta in Argentina where we were due to meet up with my lovely friend Henrietta, who very handily is practically fluent in Spanish.

The bus journey was long (12 hours) but had spectacular views of the mountains. It was interesting to see the gradual change in scenery from Chile to Argentina, going from huge expanses of dry desert to lush greenery, long tall trees, farms with horses and herds of goats.


Henrietta arrived a day after us. Once again it was great to sit out in the sun with a beer or a glass of wine and chat away merrily with a good friend, hearing about all the goings-on back home, catching up on gossip.

While we would have been happy to do this all day, we decided some cultural and sight-seeing activities were probably in order. We went to the Museo de Arqueologia de Alta Montana (High Mountain Archeology Museum), which has on display a real Incan mummy and a bunch of artefacts that were found with her. It's pretty terrible actually. Basically, a handful of attractive young children would be selected from a village (usually the children of a noble family). They would be taken on a pilgrimage, duped with some sort of sedative, and then abandoned in an underground grave in the Andes as a sacrifice to the gods where they would basically freeze to death. The displays and information booklet were intriguing, and although the mummy was a little spooky, it was kind of hard to imagine it as a real little girl. She was only about seven years old.

We also had a nose around a couple of cathedrals, which were nice enough on the outside but a little gaudily decorated inside. Unfortunately we couldn't take photos as they were in the middle of a service.


Never ones to turn down a ride in a cable car, we decided to go on a little expedition up Cerro San Bernardo, a ginormous hill with great views of the city. For me, cable cars are a little like aeroplanes – they're nice, a good way to get around, but I don't entirely trust that they're not going to fall crashing to the earth. I don't have a phobia, I just have to try not to think too much about the logistics of it all (mainly because it's something I just don't understand).


The views were as good as we'd hoped, and it was interesting to see the grid-structure of streets from high up.


We took a picnic of leftover chilli and guacamole, crusty bread, a huge bottle of beer, crisps and some apples.


Walking through a park on our way home, I was just thinking about what a pleasant afternoon we'd had when I got stung in the face by a wasp. Not just your ordinary variety of wasp either, this was an enormous red and yellow wasp, the size of a bird (practically). It just flew straight into my head, just above my left eye. At first I wasn't sure if I'd been stung or just headbutted, but then it started to hurt so bad it felt like my forehead was on fire.

The pain lasted about half an hour and then gradually went away. By the time I went to bed, I'd almost forgotten that I'd been stung. Until the next morning that is.

I knew something was wrong when I woke up. My head felt funny and I could see part of my own eyelid. I cautiously went to the bathroom, getting some funny looks along the way, and looked in the mirror. The elephant girl looked back. My sting had swollen up overnight. It reminded me of the time I got stung by a wasp on my foot when I was in high school, and it got so swollen that I could barely put on my shoes. Except I didn't mind that so much because it meant I got to miss PE.

This photo doesn't even nearly illustrate how awful I looked

I spent the next two days looking like I'd been punched, before finally waking up on the third morning with my old face back on. It was time to say goodbye to Henrietta, who was heading off to see the rest of Argentina. Meanwhile, we were headed north into Bolivia.

Bolivia has been one of our favourite countries so far. If India and Spain were to collide, Bolivia is what you would get.

Our first stop was a town called Tupiza, where we asked someone in our hotel to recommend somewhere tasty but cheap for lunch and got sent in a taxi to someone's house in the middle of nowhere, surrounded my mountains. It turns out that every Sunday, they transform part of their garden into a restaurant serving local food. The waitress came over and rattled off the names of three dishes that we'd never heard of. We picked one each at random and waited to see what we would get. Ten minutes later she returned with two huge plates piled high with food. I had barbequed goat with potatoes and some unfamiliar white beans. Karl had chicken and tongue in a spicy sauce, with potatoes and salad. Both dishes were incredible. I wish I'd taken my camera with me, but I hadn't anticipated anything quite this good. With stomachs full to bursting, we decided to walk off our lunch with a slow, half hour stroll back into town.

The following evening we were due to catch a train to a town called Uyuni. Before boarding we had dinner at a little stall outside the train station. Again, it was amazing. Pollo picante is chicken in a spicy sauce. It comes served with rice, salad and chunos, which are a little black variety of potato.


On the train they showed that Angelina Jolie film Salt, and served free cheese & ham toasties with a bottle of coke, which was pretty sweet. We arrived shortly after 1am, found a hotel and crashed.

The following day we went on a tour to see yet more salt. Except this time it was the real thing. One of the things Bolivia is best known for (apart from producing cocaine) is the Salar de Uyuni, the world's biggest salt flats. They are 10,582 square kilometers, at an altitude of 3,656 meters, and they supply salt for the the whole country. It's incredible to see, the sparkling whiteness just seems to go on and on forever.


It was almost confusing at times, standing out in the baking heat, surrounded by what looked so much like snow. In some parts, it's even like walking on snow, either slushy in the wet parts, or crunch in the dry parts.


Of course, we took the opportunity to take some more perspective shots:

It's astonishing how much fun you can have with a forknifespoon.

We also visited Fish Island, which is an island of fossilised coral from back when the whole place used to be underwater. The whole thing is covered by a forest of cactus, which again made for some good photos:

Karl and I join in with the cactuses

The llamas nearby seem unimpressed

I guess it's because they have better things to look at. Like this view!

Our tour also included a visit to another train cemetery:


After Uyuni, we went from salty to sweet, taking a never-ending bus journey to the lovely city of Sucre. We did some souvenir shopping, ate some mindblowingly amazing chorizo sandwiches at the market, and went to see the world's largest collection of dinosaur footprints.


They were discovered and excavated around 25 years ago by a cement company, and they actually go vertically up the middle of a hillside, which isn't what I'd been expected. It's because they date back to before the Andes mountains even existed - when the mountains formed, the tracks were pushed upwards. The hillside and tracks are a bit fragile (a huge section has previously crumbled off) so visitors can't actually get very close up. Instead we viewed them from a distance and used those binocular thingies to get a better look.

You see the row of dots running up the hill? Those are dino tracks. From afar.

On the plus side, the tour guide was really good at explaining how the tracks were formed and preserved, and about the geography of South America. Plus, they had this fantasically fun, life-size display of dinosaur models:

One way to get thin.

Look at the tiny arms!

One week later, after a few days in La Paz and Copacabana, we boarded a bus for Peru. We were on our way to see one of our most eagerly anticipated sights on this trip - Machu Picchu!

0 comments: