Friday 16 April 2010

NEWSFLASH: Sheena Learns to Ride a Bike!


Yes, that's right, I've finally done it! I've finally learnt to ride a bike! I know a lot of people probably think it's appalling that I've managed to hit the age of 24 without ever having learnt, but it just happened. I was just never that into bikes.

On this trip though, I decided that it would be pretty cool to be able to hire a bike and go exploring, and I know Karl likes the idea a lot too. Of course, this would mean figuring out how to actually work the damn things. It took two sessions, and it was both harder and easier than I thought.


It kind of went as you'd imagine - Karl held the back of the bike while I pedalled and tried to get to grips with keeping balance and controlling the bike. It's one of those things where the less you think about what you're doing, the more successful you'll be. For a while, I wasn't very successful at all, but eventually it began to get a bit easier, and the bike felt more stable. We got to the end of the lane, and I looked back to realise that there was no 'we' at all - it was just ME! On my own, on a bike! A bunch of locals, who had previously just looked on in bewilderment, even cheered for me!


I've been practising a bit now and then. I'm still a bit wobbly and I'm not too great at turning yet either. So far, I've almost run into a stationery ruckshaw, a pile of wood, a dog, a cockerel and a wall. We were going to try and cycle to the nearby Angkor Wat ruins one morning to watch the sunrise, but I'm not sure I can be trusted on an actual road with other people just yet, so we abandoned that plan.
Anyway, I'm very proud of me, and I hope you are too.

0 comments: